lacy baby blanket and Fair Isle booties

lacy baby blanket and Fair Isle booties

NECK SCARF

NECK SCARF
ROWAN COLOURSCAPES YARN BY DESIGNER KAFFE FASSETT

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Knitting March 2009

Not much knitting has happened since the last post. Our new "knitting group" is still in the beginning stages. A few e-mails have gone back and forth, but no definite date, time or place has been decided on. But it's a start.

I've been knitting small things. I did finish the spiral socks in camoflauge yarn. We call them "sleep socks" at home. I have "orders" for more. Note to self: boy was camo yarn hard to follow the spiral pattern on. Suggestion: thread a darning needle with contrasting yarn and move the thread up at your pattern starting point as you go. That's what I'm doing on my next pair, instead of trying to eyeball it.

In addition to the camo socks I knit two pairs of booties that I gave away. On pair in that lime green yarn I had left over from a blanket I made. Boy, has that leftover yarn come in handy-not only did I make a pair of sleep socks with it I used it to make a simple pair of garter stitch booties. It is washable and a funky enough color to give a basic bootie an updated feel. I have plenty left. I'll report in on what else gets knit up in some funky lime green yarn. Tip: try using some unusual colors for your baby knits, orange, lime green and red are just some.

There are several really cute and simple free bootie patterns on the Lion Brand Yarn web site. I made their t-strap bootie in red and it came out really cute and girlie. Visit http://www.lionbrand.com/ and look for their pattern tab. You might have to register to start getting their e-news letter and access their patterns. But it's worth it.

My cable bag is a bust-the yarn is too dark to "see" the cables as I go-and also I'm NOT that accomplished of a knitter. And the yarn cries out to be knit in a seed stitch-so I' m fiddling with that. I can see why there can be so many UFOs-unfinished projects-it's easy to get excited about a new yarn and then fizzle out when some other exciting new project comes along.

I have a knitting bag, but I also have a crochet bag. I also have a project bag (I'm using the clear plastic zipper bag comforter sets come in) that holds small balls of yarn and a bunch of black yarn given to me by my husband's cousin. What do you do with a bunch of inexpensive black yarn and a bag of yarn leftovers? You crochet granny squares! Yep, I'm back at it. I crocheted up about 40 of those little darlin's a few years ago before I pooped out. Well, the granny square project is back on again! Okay-I have too many oars in the water-so I won't tell you about my applique class yesterday and my shade garden project-two totally unrelated things to knitting.

Can I say crochet on a knitting blog?

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Lets talk crochet on a knitting blog...hey if you meet up with your knitting group can I come crochet!! can I? Can I? I miss it sometimes. Good job. Camo is in hi demand - but its a mess to work with - makes my eyes hurt just thinking about it!!

    ReplyDelete